Two Important Notices:
Volunteers’ and Friends’ Evening of Poetry, Wine and Music, Monday 10 December, 7pm, check your emails for your invitation!
Event Managers’ Training Day on Wednesday, 13 March, 2019. Details here!
Wondering how you can get involved in the Festival?
Here is an outline of all the ways you can help out. Ledbury Poetry Festival is a very friendly festival. John Burnside said of his visit to Ledbury
I feel that it is magical in Ledbury during the Festival. The whole town seems to be involved in all kinds of ways, from performing words and music, to making up marvellous, appreciative and informed audiences. For a while we all breathe poetry and music – it’s a bit like walking around for a few days in a paradise garden.”
We are very much of our community, and couldn’t do the Festival without that wonderful army of volunteers who make Ledbury a “paradise garden”. The volunteers are incredibly generous and hospitable, some of them taking poets into their own homes, and giving their time so freely.
All roles have an ambassador element: you are representing the Festival. Volunteers are invited to do as much or as little as they feel able.
If you are interested please get in touch with Phillippa email@example.com or Sandra firstname.lastname@example.org and we can talk you through roles. The Helpers’ Form 2019 will be posted in Spring 2019
- Deadline Friday 19 April, 2019 Information pack will be posted soon, or contact email@example.com
- provide B&B accommodation for poets and performers
- possible collection and drop off of performers from/to train station
- Accommodation Form to complete and send in will be posted soon, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Serving tea/ coffee/ sandwiches in Festival’s hospitality room, and occasionally at events. This role can include food preparation (sandwiches), serving alcohol, and clearing and washing up.
- taking tickets at events, seating sponsors, seating the audience, being responsible for safety during performance
- provide water (either glasses or bottled) for performer(s)
Driving and Meeting at Stations
- a welcoming role collecting poets/performers from train stations and airports. Mileage is paid.
- must have insurance which covers the use of the vehicle for work (for the driver) as well as domestic and pleasure, and
- must have full drivers’ licence
Event Managing –
- the event manager is the point of liaison between the performer, the Festival and sponsors. It is a good idea to go to many events, and familiarise yourself with the Festival to see how events run.
- do all the organising and liaising with the performer in the run up to the Festival
- meet performer(s) in Hospitality before event and escort them to venue
- ensure the performer(s) are at performance, and sound checks before performance
- if you feel confident: introduce performer, thank sponsors, show fire exits, turn off mobile phones etc, or we can get someone else to do this part
- ensure performer runs to time, compile a running list for multiple performers
- liaise with sponsors about meeting the performer afterwards, publicity material etc
- at end of performance, thank audience, thank performer and present with Festival gift
- Updated Event Managers’ Guide will be posted early 2019, or contact email@example.com
- Event Managers’ Training Day 13 March 2019 details here
- all year round admin tasks in Festival Office